Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Richmond Guide Fall 2008 - Mr. Bojangles... MadSkilz

Initial sketch..
Tightened pencils...
Inked drawing

Finished piece.


I believe that this one was done for the Performing Arts section of the guide. I've always wanted to do a drawing featuring of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson ever since I first heard the the song way back in the late 60's, early 70's. Corny? Yes, but in my defense I was only around 12 years old when I first heard it. And like much of pop music of that time, due primarily to radio stations playing an intentionally limited playlist, the song was burned into my memory, for better or worse. Not that radio has improved much in the last 30 years but that's a post for another time and perhaps another blog. Anyway Frank and I thought it might be fun to put him in a night club scratching records... with what he was best known for... wait for it... his feet.

No comments: