Thursday, September 25, 2008

Richmond Guide Fall 2008 - Maggie Walker Bling

Initial Sketch...



Tightened sketch...



Inks...



Finish.




In researching this piece I was struck how in all of the photos that I came across of Maggie Walker she comes across as very serious and business like. Which makes a certain sort of sense, she was a very successful business woman as well as a teacher and a banker. In fact she was the first woman to charter a bank in the United States. So yeah I guess she was serious. Viewing her in this light I thought it might be fun to take her out shopping for some lively perhaps even ostentatious shades. I wanted to be careful so that I handled this with the proper amount of respect but have some fun with her persona at the same time. Whether or not I achieved this balance will be up to each individual viewer to decide.

No comments: